Friday, October 12, 2012

Painting Autumn when the Weather just isn't that Great

This last week was the Sangre Arts Guild plein air painting show in Westcliff, Colorado. What started out as a beautiful event turned rather cold and well, frigid. Coni and I and Curt painted the first day in a beautiful spot by Curt's home on Macey Creek but by that afternoon that clouds had rolled in and it was necessary to paint one of thosr "cloudy" days- something I'm not used to living in the San Luis Valley- sunshine central.

By the 2nd day of the event, a cold front had moved in and was such a baby - as I have painted winter many times before, guess I just wasn't acclimated yet?  Or maybe I'm turning into a big weinie? Well, the awards were announced from the juror Stephen Datz and I won an honorable mention and a $100 gift certificate for my painting " Autumn Brilliance on a Grey Day"-  below. Coni won third place with her painting "Indian Summer" so kudos to her!




I missed the PAPNM show in Albuquerque this weekend due to the Westcliff event but received another $100 award from the Rio Grande Arts Association for my painting "Sunset at Nancy's"
Things are starting to wind down in the plein air world in Colorado right now.  A storm is beating at my windows and doors right now and the thunder is pounding with great frequency.  I have a show at the Regional Medical Center on December 1 so will need to start painting some studio pieces anyway.


1 comment:

Photo Retouch said...

Really you post here some attractive and creative photos. Both are nice. And you have perfect drawing skills that's proved your photos.