Thursday, October 8, 2009

Workshop fun

I have participated in a number of workshops and always enjoyed them. I've taken workshops from some of the best names in plein air, Matt Smith, Kevin MacPherson, Ralph Oberg, Tom Lockhart, but, I had never taught a workshop until this last week. It truly was an enjoyable time with one exception-- the weather! The first day I had planned on lecture in the morning and painting at the ranch in the afternoon, but we ended up in the studio painting from pictures because the wind was blowing horribly. I felt fortunate to have a studio large enough to house all of the easels and painters. The second day was beautiful! Above is a picture of everyone painting some trees up the La Garita road - I had planned on them painting the La Garita Church in the morning, eating at the La Garita store for lunch and then driving to Poso campground for that afternoon. Everything worked just as planned until we went to Poso campground. All of the leaves had blown off the aspen and so it was rather dead looking- especially compared to how it had looked the week before. That explains why everyone is standing on the side of the road painting- it was the only area where aspens that were still pretty.
This is the La Garita Church - the weather held out for us at this little church- I think that everyone enjoyed painting it although it was a challenge.

No comments: