Friday, October 16, 2009

A Large Plein Air

I decided to go to the ranch and try something new- a large plein air. I decided to try a 20x24 because I actually had a canvas that size and it was toned a nice purple color so I was off... The beginning layout - just blocked in
I started to work on the mountain and tried to establish where my center of focus would be.

I worked on the trees to the left of the canvas- trying to show light shining through the trunks and I worked on water and reflections.


The final result. The sky was very interesting as there was major turbulance as I painted but there was no wind until I was about finished - then it started to kick in. The cows were pretty good at posing for me but there were so many that I was able to get any view I wanted -





























3 comments:

eldon warren said...

I agree, you really nailed the sky. Nice painting over all but I like best what you did with the sky.
EW

Susan McCullough said...

Thanks Eldon. I enjoyed doing a larger painting and it wasn't as tough as I thought it would be - I got the idea from Marc Hanson's blog and I think it is well worth trying.

Fruitysquerrle said...

cute cows!
I love the painting!